Staying Connected...
...to parents
- Thanks to all of you who came to Back-To-School Night and the Grade Level Orientations. Here is a link to the slides from the orientations.
- Don't forget to check the Middle School Virtual Lobby for MS information and links. Go to 'QUICK LINKS' on the GA homepage, scroll down to VLE, enter msparent for username and PATRIOT (case sensitive) as the password.
- Follow the division updates on Twitter @middle_ga. Stay tuned as we will try a Parent Twitter Chat later this year.
- The Middle School students donated 60 copies of the summer reading book Wonder to Sutton Elementary School in Houston, Texas. Kyra Dwinell, GA alumnus, daughter of Barb Dwinell, is a teacher at the school and will be using the books for their Reading Olympics program.
- Students are collecting jars of peanut butter and jelly this month to go in boxes for Thanksgiving
- For the Thanksgiving Food Drive, we will be collecting the following items by grade:
- Sixth grade = canned vegetables
- Seventh grade = rice
- Eighth grade = stuffing and cranberry sauce
...cross-divisionally
Middle School
Note-Taking Project
My name is Kaela Griswold and I am a Junior at GA. As the
school year kicks into gear, I am writing to inform you of a new note-taking
program I am developing with the Middle School, alongside my project advisor
Mr. Mark Stephens. I’ve been working to design a program to evaluate and assist
individual Middle School students with their note taking skills, which I
believe will improve their study habits and self-confidence in Middle School
and beyond. This is the implementation stage of an Academy Scholars Project on
which I’ve been working since my freshman year. The Academy Scholars program is
directed by Ms. Sue Negro, US math teacher. It allows a student to work
independently on designing and implementing a project in an area of particular
interest to the student. Once I transitioned into high school, I noticed that
many of my classmates had a hard time adapting because they weren’t using note-taking
techniques that benefitted their personal styles of learning. I’m fascinated with the way that people learn and
I believe that individualizing their note-taking techniques can really help
students. I will be consulting with all Middle School departments that involve
note taking so I know what teachers will be expecting of their students. I will
be working with students one-on-one or in very small groups, and we will try to
schedule meeting times that will address the needs of each student. This note
taking program will be very individualized during its early months. I will be
working with different classes, and an assortment of other students chosen by
the teachers I work with. If you have any further questions, feel free to send
me an email via Mr. Stephens. I am very excited to get this program started.
No comments:
Post a Comment