As the Middle School’s new French and Chinese teacher, I
feel it fitting to begin this post with a bonjour chaleureux and a hearty 大家好!
My first few months in the Middle School at Germantown
Academy have been blissful and inspiring: this is a special place, and I am
honored and delighted to be here. In a time when many schools have become
dishearteningly shortsighted about the benefits of teaching foreign language,
GA is different. This is a school that really seems to “get it,” and seems to
understand how exposure to and mastery of another language constitute, not just
an asset in an increasingly global professional world, but also a powerful tool
of self-discovery, expression, and connection.
I came to GA after teaching at universities in Ohio and
France, and my experiences with older students have profoundly influenced my
approach to the middle school language classroom. The college students I worked
with frequently lamented their inability to converse meaningfully in French,
and many of them had been studying it since elementary or middle school. When I
probed for more information about their instruction in French, I noticed a
pattern. They had learned in classes that were teacher-centered and in
situations where teachers spent most of their time talking to students, not speaking
with them. My classes don’t look or sound like this. When my middle school
students head off to Upper School and then to college, they will not speak about
their time in the language classroom with the same regret.
Developments in second language acquisition have prompted a
shift away from our understanding that learning a language means memorizing
vocabulary words and churning out verb paradigms–that type of teaching is
frightening, uninspiring, and ineffective. I teach with conviction according to
the communicative language method, which is wholly revolutionary in its
simplicity: if we as language teachers want our students to speak, we’ve got to
give them the chance to speak! We must model healthy language-learning behaviors
for our students and must approach language and culture with a spirit of
curiosity and play. By its very
These reflections on the art of teaching foreign language have
informed my teaching philosophy and translate into classroom practices that
make my students’ time with me rich and rewarding. I teach nearly entirely in the
target language, which is the first and most important way to maximize student
exposure to the language and also models the expectation that they must
understand and use it themselves. I camouflage grammar and vocabulary with
lessons about current events and pop culture and structure these lessons such
that the students naturally acquire a particular aspect of the language as a
result of engagement in conversations about topics that are important to them.
Effort and creativity trump memorization and parroting. My students play an
active role in the learning process—I’m certainly there to provide guidance,
but I facilitate where others instruct. To illustrate, my French C classes
recently learned vocabulary about urban spaces and how to navigate a city. They
explained the advantages and disadvantages of life in the city, discussed which
types of people live in different types of cities, and, this week, are
launching pretend political campaigns to compete to become the next mayor of
Philadelphia. These lessons build on themselves and culminate in an activity
that will showcase the students’ ideas and creativity. I set the context and
structure the class, but they give it substance.
The brilliance here is twofold: as my students exchange with
each other in the target language, they are growing in their language skills
and also growing in their knowledge of themselves and each other. French and
Chinese serve as the vehicles for this powerful new self-knowledge.
The character traits and behavior modeled and cultivated in
the foreign language classroom reinforce the broader work that we are doing in
the Middle School, and my classes reflect GA’s mission in a way that reminds me
why I got into language teaching in the first place. My students demonstrate
courage and confidence as they take risks; they demonstrate compassion as they support
their classmates and learn patience with themselves; and they demonstrate
collaboration as they listen to each other and interact meaningfully and with
authenticity.
I speak on behalf of my other language colleagues at GA when
I say that we are teaching, not just tools to navigate a language, but tools to
navigate life. After all, though we are in the business of transmitting
language skills, we also have a hand in the raising of human beings.


No comments:
Post a Comment