Tuesday, January 28, 2014

Middle School Musical 2014

It’s the Most Wonderful Time of the Year!
(Well, for me at least)
by Joanna Rominger, Director 

Every year I often get asked the same questions:
How do you do it?
Why do you do it?
And my response is always:
I don’t know.
Because I love it. 

There is something so magical about watching a group of 6th, 7th, and 8th grade students come together to reach a common goal.  Watching them come together every afternoon over the course of seven weeks, to work together to build a production from the bottom up, and to watch them take their individual talent and let it shine through the talent of others.  Yes, there are times that I want to pull my hair out, but it’s apart of the process, and part of the reason I look forward to coming to Germantown Academy every day.  

When I took over as the director of the MS musical seven years ago, I was so excited and nervous at the same time.  I had no idea what to expect.  What I soon learned is that GA has a special breed of students in the middle school--students who are hard workers and take pride in what they love to do.   I had no idea what they were capable of, and the level of work they would be able to produce.  To this day there isn’t a week that goes by, when I’m not amazed by the level of drive and talent that I am blessed to work with each year in the musical.

People who haven’t participated in a theatrical production before don’t realize the amount of work that a cast member is expected to complete throughout the production process.  Every afternoon from 3:15-5:15, 54 students attend a rehearsal to learn music, movement, and blocking.  They are asked to learn a show that is identical to that of what professional actors and actresses learn in New York and Philadelphia.  From November 14th -January 24th (minus two weeks for winter break!) the students learn 17 songs, 129 pages of dialogue, and 16 scenes of blocking.  You may notice that the time they are expected to learn everything is a week before the show opens.  That is because their last week of rehearsals, their “tech week”, is the week that the show gets handed over to them.  It’s their week to take ownership of everything they have learned, and it’s their turn to make the show their own.


Finally the day comes, the day we’ve been working so hard for.  The day that seemed so far away at the start, but now all you can say is, “I can’t believe it’s actually here!”  There is nothing like opening night jitters.  The combination of excitement and anxiety creates the most incredible feeling of butterflies all over your body.  I know that I’m not the one performing on the stage, but I have those same butterflies alongside the performers.  The fears of what could go wrong; knowing that there isn’t any more you can do to help them is so scary and exciting at the same time.  As the overture begins, I take my seat with my assistant director, Kristen Donches.   All we can do is sit back…try to relax…and enjoy the show. The first round of applause that the kids receive always brings a sigh of relief, along with the realization that they can do this.   The moment the last round of applause is heard before the curtain call, I am always holding back tears of joy and pride.  Watching the smiles of each student on that stage as they take their bow is almost as amazing as watching the look on their parent's faces cheering from the audience.   It is at this moment when I think about the question of why do I do it.  And it is in this moment and many like it that answer the question.  This moment says it all and makes everything we do to get here worth it.

SEE YOU THIS WEEKEND!!  

No comments:

Post a Comment